Wednesday 15 January 2014

The 90-Day Language Challenge. Are you game?

I have just joined the 90-Day Challenge at the LingQ language learning web page. It means that I have committed to learning a foreign language (in my case Swedish) every day for 90 days in a row. I'm trying to spread the word about it, because I think this approach to language learning (i.e. learning often) really works for many different people. It certainly did work for me last year when I decided to resurrect my long lost Spanish. If you want to make a breakthrough to a higher level in a foreign language, you do not necessarily need to study for hours per day, but you need to somehow meet your language often, if not every day, then almost every day for at least a couple of months. This sort of intensity seems to be especially important when beginning with a new language, because you are still developing your language core (a term from Italian multipolyglot Luca Lampariello).

I think this simple strategy of frequent exposure to a language may actually be the biggest open secret of successful language learning. That's why I would like to challenge you (some of my friends and language students and anyone else interested) to a learning streak of at least 90 days. If you do not like LingQ for any reason, you can still join me in the challenge mentally by doing another method for 90 days or just with your own freestyle language learning. (It's true that to actually meet your "weekly targets" in the LingQ challenge, you have to be a paying member. But they also offer tons of learning material for free in about 20 languages.)

At LingQ, we're starting on Wed 15th Jan 2014. Has this date already passed? Then make it your 85- or 72-Day Challenge. Or start your own 90-Day Challenge on the day of your choice. Just do it. I have heard somewhere that public commitments are generally harder to break and it sounds logical, doesn't it? It's supposed to be one of the tricks how to create a habit and keep it.

So, are you game? If not, no need to look for excuses ;-) It's your life and your priorities. Otherwise, my knowhow is at your service. I am a talking encyclopedia of language learning Android apps, websites, youtube channels, software, audio courses etc. (Just kidding, there are certainly many more than what I have used. But I have tried many.) 

I wish you a lot of strength for any new habits you are creating or any challenges that you want to rise up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment